How often have you heard the expression, “No pain, no gain”? It can apply to many life situations, including exercise to shape up, tone or drop weight. But when pain is severe or prolonged, you gain nothing and stand to lose a lot!
The Right Kind of Pain
Watson Lane Chiropractic and Wellness
~ Dr. Vanessa Vajdos, DC ~
Providing Superior Personalized Chiropractic Care to Every Patient
- Serving New Braunfels, San Marcos, Seguin and Canyon Lake -
There are a number of tips to help you stay safe to avoid workout injuries. Some of them include:
- Warming up – Warm muscles are far less likely to tear than cold ones. So, if you’re going out for a run, walk a bit first, then trot before you go into full running mode. Stretching your muscles, especially the ones you’re going to be using, also helps you to avoid injury.
- Cooling down – The same is true when you end an exercise session. You can’t just automatically stop when you are finished with your workout because this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. Using running as an example- slow down to a walk again before you just stop your exercise. It’s also important to stretch out those muscles again.
- Staying hydrated – Water, water, water! Drinking water before, during and after a workout replaces fluids lost from sweating and exertion, especially important in warm or hot weather.
- Taking it easy – You can’t expect to run a marathon your first day out. Start slowly and build in terms of time spent and exertion level for your workouts. For example, if you’re engaging in weight training, you don’t want to start with the heaviest weights; you want to start small and gradually increase weight levels.
- Listening to your body – Don’t continue your workout if suddenly you find yourself in pain. Your body is trying to tell you something. Ignoring it can only make it worse, so stop whatever you’re doing and give your body a few days to recover before starting up again.
- Making sure you’re wearing the right shoes for the exercise – This is really important to reduce the impact of the exercise on your body, particularly your ankles, shins, calves, knees and other joints.
- Learning the proper technique for the workout – Make sure you know the proper technique for any new workout routine you are attempting for the first time. Correct technique is as important as warming up to avoid injury.
The decision to exercise is an important one for your overall health – as important as diet/nutrition and regular chiropractic care – to keep your nervous system fit and healthy. Just remember to start out slowly, don’t overdo it and stop if you feel any type of pain, in order to avoid serious injury. And… if you do experience any pain, be sure to let us know.
Get practical health tips by subscribing to our monthly eNewsletter.
Insurance Accepted chiropractor in new braunfels
View our NEW VIDEO on YELP chiropractor in new braunfels
~ Open on Saturdays ~
Call TODAY for an Appointment chiropractor in new braunfels
Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 7:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am - 12 Noon
"I love to see my patient leave here happy...I've been a Chiropractor now for twenty-five years and have never grown tired of it. Each patient has specific needs and each patient is special to me. chiropractor in new braunfels
My favorite part of what I do for a living is chiropractor in new braunfels
making people happy and chiropractor in new braunfels
healing people naturally." chiropractor in new braunfels
~ Dr. Vanessa Vajdos, DC chiropractor in new braunfels